Tuesday, June 21, 2011

TRX is All the Rage

After reading up on my daily does of FitSugar I noticed that there was a post about how celebrities are now using TRX to tone up and lean down.  I became familiar with TRX suspension training from a couple of family friends, Dustin and Kirby who live in Hawaii and are certified TRX instructors.  Often times they simply pack up their equipment and head to a local park to perform their own workouts.  It's really equipment that you can buy on your own and use in your own home, although I know gyms are starting to pick up on this new trend that I'm sure is here to stay.

As far as I know the only gym in Chicago that has TRX certified classes is Pure Vibe Fitness in Ukrainian Village.  I've taken one class there about a year ago and it really does give you a full body workout.  The secret to the challenge of TRX is using your own body weight to increase strength.

It was created by a Navy SEAL to give him and his fellow SEALS the opportunity to keep in tip top shape no matter where in the world they were stationed.  It's designed for the maximum workout in the smallest amount of space and in the shortest amount of time.  The nature of the equipment allows for extremely fluid workouts that encourages the transition from one exercise to the next to keep an increased heart rate.  It is also used by tons of pro and Olympic athletes.

Here is a video of how TRX training has helped Olympic swimmer Christine Magnuson:

Check out the TRX YouTube page for most information, including sample exercises to get you started!

1 comment:

  1. I did it once or twice at my gym with my trainer--I didn't know it had a fancy name! I liked it.

    ReplyDelete